Key access to the French Market: 400 pages of precious information on the Lingerie and Swimwear market in France
PUBLICATION EN ANGLAIS
The lingerie market in France * is valued at 2.4 billion euros in 2019 (-1.7% compared to 2018). Although historically dominated by French brands, a growing number of international brands are establishing themselves there, which illustrates the attractiveness and dynamism of this market, which still offers great growth potential for brands. Despite its high-end positioning, its consolidation and the strong competitiveness that reigns there, new brands are succeeding in establishing themselves, in particular because the French consume more lingerie than their European neighbors: French women spend around 18% of their budget on clothing to lingerie. But what strategy to adopt in order to integrate and persist in the lingerie market in France?
The Retail Structure for intimate apparel is split between hypermarkets for mass consumption merchandise, domestic and international mono-brand chains offering “affordable” lingerie; a few, but important, department stores & multi-brand chains selling “better-to-premium” intimate apparel and privately owned multi-brand shops and boutiques operating in the medium to upper-medium price segments. Online & catalogue sales continue to boom with 20% of market share and is becoming nowadays one of the key platforms for lingerie shopping.
*Lingerie, corsetry, men’s, women’s & kid’s underwear & nightwear; source : INSEE
Key actors in the market
- 85 detailed Retail company profiles: concept stores, independent shops, multi-brand chain stores, mono-brand chain stores, department stores, pure players, distributors, agents, erotic independent shops & e-shops.
- 70 detailed Brand company profiles: traditional French lingerie brands, designers, swimwear brands, cosmetic textile & postsurgery brands, homewear brands.
- There are 6 approaches to accessing the market in visual illustration: agency, franchising, online sales, branch, direct sales, and other new approaches which are described in detail.
- Analyses of French women’s lingerie tastes: beauty criteria, shopping habits, brand awareness, favourite shapes, bestselling colours & styles.
- Key merchandising trends & inspirations for lingerie shops. Practical merchandising guidelines to embellish your shop. Merchandising tops & flops.
FASHION MARKET IN FRANCE
- Monthly gross wage average mapping per region & population.
- French households consumption:
- French consumption structure.
- Focus on clothing and accessories consumption.
- Tension on the prices of clothing.
- French retail:
- Revenue growth per sector.
- Distribution channels for clothing.
- Fashion E-commerce spotlight.
- Lingerie retail:
- Focus on lingerie consumption.
- Focus on lingerie consumption: Women’s lingerie market 2019.
Focus on lingerie consumption: Men’s underwear market 2019.
Focus on lingerie consumption: Women’s swimwear market 2019.
Focus on lingerie consumption: Men’s swimwear market 2019.
- Distribution channels for intimate apparel.
- Worldwide women’s lingerie market mapping.
FOREIGN TRADE OF FRANCE INTIMATE APPAREL BY PRODUCT CATEGORIES
- Fabric exports & imports:
- Knitted & crocheted fabric (60).
- Tulles & Lace (5804).
- Silk (50).
- Embroidery (5810).
- Intimate apparel export & import evolution per category (2014-2018).
- T-shirts (6109).
- Brassiere and girdle (6212).
- Men’s underpants, briefs, pajamas (knitted - 6107).
- Men’s underpants, briefs, pajamas (woven - 6207).
- Women’s briefs, panties, nightdresses, pajamas (knitted - 6108).
- Women’s briefs, panties, nightdresses, pajamas (woven - 6208).
- Hosiery (pantyhose, tights, stockings, socks - 6115).
- Men’s swimwear (knitted - 611231 & HS 611239).
- Men’s swimwear (woven - 621111).
- Women’s swimwear (knitted - 611241 & 611249).
- Women’s swimwear (woven - 621112).
THE FRENCH STYLE
- The style icons.
- The mantras.
- The mix & match.
- The beauty effortless.
- The sexy simplicity.
- The french taste for lingerie:
- The bestsellers.
- The sizes.
- Choice criterias.
EUROPEAN REGULATION GUIDE
- Main regulations to fulfill in the EU for textile and clothing articles.
6 KEYS TO ACCESSING THE FRENCH MARKET
- How to sell to France:
- Department stores.
- Trade shows.
- Franchised traders.
- Online shops.
- Best merchandising practice:
- Chantal Thomass.
- Emilia Cosi.
- La Perla.
- Le Bon Marché.
- Maison Lejaby.
- Princesse tam.tam.
- Mistakes to avoid in merchandising.
KEY FRENCH BRANDS
- Producers & local brands:
- Traditional french brand lingerie.
- Lingerie designer.
- Swimwear brand.
- Cosmetics lingerie.
- Traditional french homewear.
KEY FRENCH RETAILERS
- Concept Stores.
- Erotic Independent Shops & E-Shops.
- Independent Shops.
- Multi-brand Chain Stores.
- Mono-brand Chain Stores.
- Department Stores.
- Pure Players.